I love the little synchronicities that happen that bring clarity and inspiration to my day. As I was waiting for a meeting to begin this morning a notification from the brilliant speaker, Patricia Morgan, popped up about a video on spirituality as her resilience word of the day. Here is the link to her sharing about spirituality on LinkedIn:
Her sharing about defining spirituality as core essence, reminded me of a talk I gave a few years ago for an event called “Freedom 50 U”. I was asked to talk about the Spiritual Dimension of Well-being.
As I researched the connection between well-being and spirituality, the best explanation I found came from The University of New Hampshire Health Services website. It’s still my favorite explanation.
“Spiritual wellness may not be something that you think much of, yet its impact on your life is unavoidable. The basis of spirituality is discovering a sense of meaningfulness in your life and coming to know that you have a purpose to fulfill.
Many factors play a part in defining spirituality – religious faith, beliefs, values, ethics, principles and morals. Some gain spirituality by growing in their personal relationships with others, or through being at peace with nature. Spirituality allows us to find the inner calm and peace needed to get through whatever life brings, no matter what one’s beliefs are or where they may be on your spiritual journey.
The human spirit is the most neglected aspect of our selves. Just as we exercise to condition our bodies, a healthy spirit is nurtured by purposeful practice. The spirit is the aspect of ourselves that can carry us through anything. If we take care of our spirit, we will be able to experience a sense of peace and purpose even when life deals us a severe blow. A strong spirit helps us to survive and thrive with grace, even in the face of difficulty.”
For the past 15 years, I have been guiding people with how to use sound and music to connect with their beautiful spiritual selves.
Throughout our evolution, sound has been a catalyst for increasing our awareness of this deep inner connection. It has also been a catalyst for connecting our communities.
You can NEVER lose your connection to your spiritual essence. It’s as much a part of you as your nose or your toes.
You can FORGET about it though. And the insidious symptoms of stress feed this forgetfulness.
If you want to find out how much stress is affecting you and your wellbeing, click the link below and you can do our 5-minute stress test:
When you create moments during your day to create connection with your spiritual essence, you reduce or dissolve symptoms of stress.
How do you know when you are connected to your soul or spiritual essence?
Whenever you feel deep peace, joy, wonder, bliss, calm, love (for no particular reason), happiness (for no particular reason).
How can you create connection to your spiritual essence?
Here are some of my favorite, less than a minute, Harmony Moments:
- take a deep, slow breath; take several deep, slow breaths
- hum a favorite tune
- I tap my favorite Tibetan bowl (One of the things the sound of a Tibetan singing bowl does is to reset the body to its natural state of harmony.)
- sigh 2 or 3 vocalized sighs to stimulate the relaxation response
- tap my Perfect 5th tuning forks and listen to them
- sing ahhhhh for a few moments, while focusing my awareness on what I’m grateful for.
- smell a flower
- stand in the grass with bare feet
I encourage you to have a list of your favorite harmony moments, written or in your mind. Use them whenever you feel a sense of overwhelm beginning, so you can return to sharing your passion and gifts with those who need them.
If you are curious about other ways to connect with that beautiful essence of yours, here are some favorite resources at Sound Wellness:
Self-Care is essential!
- Download our Self Care Guide, free e-book
- Check out our 2-hour video program, “Tools for Emotional Health and Resilience”
- Check out our introduction to Sound in the Sound Wellness Foundation video program
- Immerse yourself in the ultimate in self-care, our Fundamentals of Healing with Sound and Music 3-day program, June 12-14. We will be live-streaming this course.
Community is essential!
- Experience the power of your voice to create relaxation, calm and stimulate the natural healing ability of your body. Join Sharon in her weekly Facebook Live broadcasts every Sunday evening for Sound Wellness Chakra Toning.
- Experience deep cleansing and healing with Sharon’s Bi-weekly Medicine Buddha Chant Circles. These are offered to support health – emotional and physical – while we are in isolation. Click on events on the Sound Wellness facebook page