Gratitude and Receiving are two sides of the same energy
Abundance comes to us in many ways. Everything that you currently have or own in your life represents abundance, from your family and friends to your home to the money you receive in exchange for the work that you do.
A sad truth is that many of the wonderful people who offer a holistic healing modality, would just as easily give away their services. This is a noble ideal, but doesn’t truly serve those offering and those receiving. And it creates an energetic imbalance.
Money is an invention created by mankind eons ago as a way of simplifying the exchange of what we have for what we need. As human communities became more complex and larger, a system of barter, or exchanging one item for another, will only go so far.
As a creation of mankind, money is also energy. It needs to flow – in and out – to create balance and harmony.
Reciprocity is involved in creating this balance.
This in and out flow is deeply connected to the human psychological need for reciprocity. Wikipedia has an interesting entry on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocity_(social_psychology)
“Reciprocity is considered as a strong determining factor of human behavior…With reciprocity, a small favor can produce a sense of obligation to a larger return favor. This feeling of obligation allows an action to be reciprocated with another action. Because there is a sense of future obligation with reciprocity it can help to develop and continue relationships with people. Reciprocity works because from a young age people are taught to return favors, and to disregard this teaching will lead to the social stigma of being an ingrate.”
Reciprocity shows up in many ways in our everyday life. Here are some examples of this from our cultural history:
- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
- As above – so below
- What you give, you receive
- Do a good deed for another person and it will be returned
- One hand washes the other
All of these have to do with creating balance between giving and receiving. We all know this. But for many people, there is a problem in the receiving part.
Diving into Receiving
The flow of receiving can become blocked by your beliefs. For example, “money doesn’t grow on trees,” or “only money buys happiness.” Another way receiving can be blocked is by the feeling of entitlement. Or the lack of gratitude for what you already have in your life.
Many of these beliefs were planted in your unconscious mind at a very young age.
Your habits and patterns of behavior sit in your unconscious (or subconscious) mind. This part of your mind is what helps you ride a bicycle or drive a car without having to think about it too much.
Dr. Bruce Lipton, explains the roles of the unconscious and conscious mind in his book, “Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness.”
“The function of the mind is to create coherence between our beliefs and the reality that we experience…We generally perceive that we are running our lives with our wishes and our desires. But neuroscience reveals a startling fact. We only run our lives with our creative, conscious mind about 5 percent of the time. Ninety-five percent of the time, our life is controlled by the beliefs and habits that are programmed in the subconscious mind.”
Well, it’s pretty sobering to hear that ninety-five percent of your behavior comes from programs planted in your subconscious mind when you were very young.
And that includes your relationship with abundance and receiving. What on earth can you do about THAT? The truth is – a lot!
Your conscious mind may only run your life 5 percent of the time – but it has a distinct advantage over the unconscious mind.
It is aware!
Flexing your Receiving Muscle
Your unconscious mind is programmed patterns of behavior that show up when the right stimulus appears. Your conscious mind has the power to step in with awareness to CHANGE THE PROGRAMMING.
Here are some tips on how to do that.
- Give your conscious mind the TASK of monitoring your thoughts. Most of your thoughts come from your subconscious mind. Your intention is to become more aware of the content of these thoughts.
- Ask your conscious mind to alert you whenever one of your unsupportive beliefs or thoughts about money shows up. When it comes to money, being able to recognize these patterns as they appear in your everyday life, especially the limiting ones, is hugely beneficial.
- When you become aware of one of these thoughts from the subconscious. Notice it. Also know that you are now at the point of CHOICE. Choose another thought that is more supportive.
- Please note that this is an ongoing process with understanding your unconscious mind, not just a one-time occurrence.
Balancing the Scale with Attraction Energy
Now that you are becoming more aware of these patterns of how you understand and manage your money, let’s strengthen the energy of attracting more money to you.
Remember, money is energy. One of the most powerful energies of attraction, is GRATITUDE.
Here are some ideas and practices to explore:
- A regular practice of daily writing in a gratitude journal, not only helps you to focus on what you are grateful for, it is great for your health. (See last week’s blog on The Science of Gratitude) – link
- One of my favorite ways of attracting more financial abundance into my life is to hold cash, or a check or a paid invoice to my heart and really feel gratitude for receiving this payment for my services. You can even print out your account balance and use that.
- You can also AMPLIFY this gratitude by using your own voice.
Sound waves carry consciousness and thought and feelings as they travel. Sound also travels through you and the thought and feelings and conscious intent also travels through you on the waves of sound.
Sing a song of gratitude as you hold this money or abundance to your heart and you plant this vibration into every cell and atom of your being. If you can’t think of a song – just sing ahhhhh – the sound most associated with the heart.
That creates a beacon of energy and intensifies the magnetic attraction of your feeling of gratitude that will bring more abundance into your life.